“Giving patients back their vision is one of the most rewarding things I can imagine. I love that I get to do interesting work that I’m passionate about and see it translate directly into vastly improved quality of life for the people I care for. I believe patients need to be heard and treated thoughtfully, and nothing is more important than fostering direct and open communication with my patients.”
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, Michigan
Bascom Palmer Eye Institute
Scripps Mercy Hospital
San Diego, California
Weill Cornell Medical College
New York, New York
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Dallas County Medical Society
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 3, Double-Masked, Randomized Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection in Patients with Moderately Severe to Severe Non-proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy; Protocol # VEGFTe-OD-1411; PANORAMA Study.
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-masked, Controlled Study comparing the Safety and Efficacy of Suprachoroidal CLS-TA with Intravitreal Aflibercept versus Aflibercept alone in Subjects with Diabetic Macula Edema; Clearside CLS 2004-201; TYBEE Study.
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 2, Multi-center, Randomized, Double-masked, Placebo- controlled, Pilot Study to Evaluate Effects of Emixustat Hydrochloride on Aqueous Humor Biomarkers Associated with Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy; Acucela Protocol 4429-203.
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 3, Randomized, Masked, Controlled Trial to Study the Safety and Efficacy of Suprachoroidal CLS-TA in conjunction with Intravitreal Aflibercept in Subjects with Retinal Vein Occlusion; Clearside CLS1003-301; SAPPHIRE Study.
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-masked, Active-controlled Phase 2 Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Repeated Doses of Intravitreal REGN910-3 in Patients with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration; Regeneron Pharmaceuticals R910-3-AMD-1517; ONYX Study.
- Principal Investigator, A Phase 2, Randomized, Double-masked, Active-controlled, Phase 2 Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Repeated Doses of Intravitreal REGN910-3 in patients with Diabetic Macular Edema; Regeneron Pharmaceuticals R910-3-DME-1518; RUBY Study.
- Co-Investigator, A Multi-center, Open-label Extension Study to Evaluate the Long-term Safety and Tolerability of Lampalizumab in Patients with Geographic Atrophy Secondary to Age-Related Macular Degeneration who Have Completed a Roche- Sponsored Study; F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd GX30191.
- Co-Investigator, A Multiple-center, Multiple-dose, Active Comparator-controlled, Double-masked, Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of RO6867461 Administered Intravitreally in Patients with Choroidal Neovascularization Secondary to Age-Related Macular Degeneration; F. Hoffman-La Roche Ltd BP29647; AVENUE Study.
- Co-Investigator, Multi-Center, Non-interventional Extension Study of the Safety and Efficacy of CLS-TA for the Treatment of Macular Edema Associated with Non- Infectious Uveitis; Clearside CLS 1001-301.
- Co-Investigator, A Phase 3, Open-label Safety Study of Suprachoroidal Triamcinolone Acetonide Injectable Suspension in Patients with Non-Infectious Uveitis – Clearside CLS 1001-302.
- Abbey AM. Five from ASRS 2017: Syringes, Sirolimus and Endophthalmitis Prophylaxis. Retina Specialist. November 2017.
- Abbey AM. Retina Standouts from ARVO 2017: Surgical Robot, FAc for DR and More. Retina Specialist. September 21, 2017.
- Hahn P, Hau V, Abbey AM. Marketing Your Practice. Retinal Physician. September 1, 2017.
- Abbey AM, Van Laere LY, Shah AR, Hassan TS. Recurrent Macular Holes in the Era of Small-gauge Vitrectomy: A Review of Incidence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes. Retina. 2017 May; 37(5): 921-924.
- Shah AR, Yonekawa Y, Todorich B, van Laere L, Hussain R, Woodward MA, Abbey AM, Wolfe JD. Prediction of Anti-VEGF Response in Diabetic Macular Edema After 1 Injection. Journal of VitreoRetinal Diseases. 2017 May 1; 1(3): 169-174.
- Rao P, Yonekawa Y, Abbey AM, Shah AA, Wolfe JD, Faia LJ. Prevalence and Surgical Outcomes of Macular Hole in Eyes with Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Ophthalmology Retina. 2017 March-April; 1(2): 158-164.
- Yonekawa Y, Abbey AM, van Laere L, Shah AR, Thomas BJ, Ruby AJ, Faia LJ. Stalagmite- like Preretinal Inflammatory Deposits in Vitrectomized Eyes with Posterior Uveitis. Digital Journal of Ophthalmology. 2017 Feb 18; 23(1): 18-22.
- Hussain RM, Abbey AM, Shah AR, Drenser KA, Trese MT, Capone A Jr. Chorioretinal Coloboma Complications: Retinal Detachment and Choroidal Neovascular Membrane. Journal of Ophthalmic and Vision Research. 2017 Jan-Mar; 12(1): 3-10.
- Todorich B, Thanos A, Yonekawa Y, Thomas BJ, Abbey AM, Faia LJ. Transconjunctival Sutureless Intrascleral Fixation of Secondary Intraocular Lenses in Patients with Uveitis. Ocular Immunology and Inflammation. 2016 Oct 11: 1-5.
- Yonekawa Y, Hypes SM, Abbey AM, Williams GA, Wolfe JD. Exacerbation of Macular Oedema Associated with Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy. Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2016 Sep; 44(7): 625-626.
- Abbey AM. Alcon Retina Exchange 2017. Panelist and Presenter – Fort Worth, TX; June 6, 2017.
- Abbey AM. “Marketing for the Retina Practice: Using Technology to Enhance Traditional Strategies.” Panelist at the 2017 American Society of Retina Specialists Business of Retina Meeting – Grapevine, TX; April 1, 2017.
- Rao P, Abbey AM, Shah AA, Yonekawa Y, Shah AR, Faia LJ. “Prevalence and Surgical Outcomes of Macular Holes in Eyes with AMD.” Paper Presentation at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting – Las Vegas, NV; November 15, 2015.
- Shah AR, Abbey AM, Yonekawa Y, Khandan S, Wolfe JD, Trese MT, Williams GA, Capone A Jr. “Wide-Field Angiography in Patients without Peripheral Disease: A Study of Normal Peripheral Findings.” Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting – Las Vegas, NV; November 14, 2015.
- Mammo D, Rao P, Abbey AM, Hassan TS. “Breakthrough Vitreous Hemorrhage in Neovascular AMD: Prognostic Indicators and Outcomes.” Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting – Las Vegas, NV; November 14, 2015.
- Abbey AM, Besirli CG, Lee PP, Musch DC, Andrews CA, Capone A Jr, Drenser KA, Wallace DK, Trese MT. “Telemedicine Diagnosis of Plus Disease in Retinopathy of Prematurity: Accuracy of Expert versus Computer-assisted Quantitative Vascular Analysis.” Paper Presentation at the American Society of Retina Specialists Annual Meeting – Vienna, Austria; July 13, 2015. Recipient of the 2015 Retina Fellows’ Forum Research Award.
- Padhi TR, Abbey AM, Anderson BJ, Alam D, Modi R, Drenser KA, Capone A Jr, Trese MT, Besirli CG. “Choroidal Neovascular Membranes in Pediatric Subjects: Clinical Characteristics and Outcomes.” Poster Presentation at the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting – Denver, CO; May 4, 2015.
- Trese MT, Shah AR, Abbey AM. “Peripheral Retinal Vascular Findings in Adults and Children.” Angiogenesis, Exudation, and Degeneration 2015 – Miami, FL; February 7, 2015.
- Hussain RM, Abbey AM, Shah AR, Drenser KA, Trese MT, Capone A Jr. “Chorioretinal Colobomas: A 20 Year Review.” Paper Presentation at the National Eye Research Conference – Galveston, TX; January 9, 2015.
- Abbey AM, Williams GA. “Psychiatric Ophthalmology.” Mayo Clinic Retina Update and Case Conference – Rochester, MN; October 31, 2014.
- Editorial Board Member, Retina Specialist
- Reviewer, RETINA
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2016
- Retina Fellows’ Forum Research Award, 2015
- Vit-Buckle Society Travel Grant Award, 2015
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Travel Grant Award, 2014
- The Edward Norton Prize in Ophthalmology, 2009
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, 2008
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Ophthalmology, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, 2016 – present