Michel J. Shami, MD
Areas of Focus | Vitreoretinal Surgery, Medical Retina, Director of Clinical Research – Texas Retina Associates, Lubbock
Office Locations | Lubbock
Languages Spoken | English, French, Arabic
“The greatest reward of all is to meet the expectations of a trusting patient and restore sight.”
San Francisco, California
Department of Ophthalmology
and Visual Sciences
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
American University Hospital
American University Hospital
American University of Beirut
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- Texas Medical Association
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network
- Co-investigator: Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS 2) study, National Eye Institute, 2006-2013. Results published in JAMA.2013;309(19):2005-15 and JAMA Ophthalmol.7376, published online December 5, 2013.
- Co-investigator: Effect of Ozurdex (Dexamethasone Intravitreal Implant) 0.7 MG on Improvement of Efficacy of Bevacizumab Therapy for Non-Ischemic CRVO. TRA-OZAB-11-001.
- Principal Investigator: The Standard Care vs. Corticosteroid for Retinal Vein Occlusion (SCORE) Study, National Eye Institute and Emmes Corporation 2004 – 2009.
- Principal investigator. An Open-label, Multi-center, Safety Study of the Treatment of Predominantly Classic Subfoveal Choroidal Neovascularization Secondary to AMD Using Photodynamic Therapy with Verteporfin for Injection, 2001.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Ranibizumab Plus Prompt or Deferred Laser for Diabetic Macular Edema in Eyes with Vitrectomy Before Anti-vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Retina, December 2015-Volume 35-Issue 12-p-2516-2528.
- Ahmad M Mansour, Maha Shahin, Peter K Kofoed, Maurizio B Parodi, Shami M, Stephen G Schwartz, Collaborative Anti-VEGF Ocular Vascular Complications Group: Insight into 144 Patients with Ocular Vascular Events During VEGF Antagonist I Clinical Ophthalmology, 2012:6 343-363.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Expanded 2-year Follow-up of Ranibizumab Plus Prompt or Deferred Laser or Triamcinolone Plus Prompt Laser for Diabetic Macular Edema. Ophthalmology 2011 Apr;118(4):609-14.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Rationale for the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network Treatment Protocol for Center-involved Diabetic Macular Ophthalmology 2011 Dec;118(12):e5-14.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Randomized Trial Evaluating Short-term Effects of Intravitreal Ranibizumab or Triamcinolone Acetonide on Macular Edema After Focal/Grid Laser for Diabetic Macular Edema in Eyes also Receiving Panretinal P Retina 2011 Jun;31(6):1009-27.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Factors Associated with Visual Acuity Outcomes After Vitrectomy for Diabetic Macular Retina. 2010 Oct;30(9):1488-95.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Vitrectomy Outcomes in Eyes with
- Diabetic Macular Edema and Vitreomacular Traction. Ophthalmology 2010 Jun: 117 (6): 1087-1093.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network: Randomized Trial Evaluating Ranibizumab Plus Prompt or Deferred Laser or Triamcinolone Plus Prompt Laser for Diabetic Macular Edema. Ophthalmology 2010 Jun: 117 (6): 1064-1077.
- Vitritis in a Healthy 18 y.o. Male: What’s Next. TTUHSC Dept of Ophthlamlogy, 30th Annual Clinical Update for the Comprehensive Ophthalmologist, June 28, 2013.
- New Paradigm in the treatment of Diabetic Macular edema. TTUHSC Dept of Ophthalmology, November 2010.
- Fluorescein Conferences and Lectures. Residency Program, Dept of Ophthalmology,TTUHSC 2001- 09.
- DRCR Net Protocol B and D: Review of Clinical Trial and Results. Beirut, Lebanon, July 2009.
- Controversies in the Repair of Retinal D Beirut, Lebanon, June 2008.
- Guidelines for Obtaining Good OCT Scans. Beirut, Lebanon, December 2007.
- Diurnal Variation in Retinal Thickening Measured by OCT(on behalf of the DRCR net). American Society of Retinal Specialists 24th Annual Meeting September 9-13, 2006, Cannes, France.
- Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy. Vitreoretinal Update 2005 for Optometrists. Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas, Texas, April 2005.
- Intravitreal Kenalog in the Management of Macular Beirut, Lebanon, July 2004.
- Retinal H Vitreoretinal Update 2004 for Optometrists. Presbyterian Hospital, Dallas, Texas, April 2004.
- Woodward/White, Inc.: The Best Doctors in America, 1998, 2002, 2011, 2012, 2014 Listings.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Achievement Award, 2002
- “America’s Top Ophthalmologist,” listing 2004-2005 Edition
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network (DRCR net): Best Site Award 2006, Top Site Award 2007.
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas