“Since I was about six years old, I wanted to be a physician. In my nearly 20 years of retinal practice, I have always tried to treat people as I would like to be treated. I take more of an ‘old school’ approach, meaning that I do my best to listen, do a thorough exam, explain my findings, and be sure that my patients leave with at least a reasonable understanding of their problem, including any treatment options that might be available. This is what I expect when I or one of my family members is a patient, and so I try to do the same for those who have put their trust in me to take care of them. Couple this with what I believe is ‘world class’ surgical and medical eye care, and I think it makes a great formula for a positive patient experience.”
Vitreoretinal Disease and Surgery
Emory Eye Center
Emory Eye Center
The Baptist Medical Centers
The University of Iowa College of Medicine
Iowa City, Iowa
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retina Specialists
- Tarrant County Medical Society
- Texas Medical Association
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Sub-Investigator: AGN 150998-004: A Multi-Center, Randomized, Double-Masked, 28-week, Parallel-Group, Active-Controlled, to Evaluate the Safety and Treatment Effects of Abicipar in Patients with Decreased Vision Due to DME Involving the Central Foveal Subfield. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: AGN 150998-003: A Multi-Center, Double-Masked, Randomized, 20-Week Parallel-Group, Active Controlled Study, Designed to Evaluate the Safety and Treatment Effects of Abicipar in Treatment-Naïve Patients with Neovascular AMD.
- Sub-Investigator: ACT 13480: (SANOFI): A Randomized, Double-Masked and Placebo-Controlled Study to Evaluate the Effixacy and Safety of Sarilumab Administered Subcutaneously Every Two Weeks in Patients with Non-Infectious, Intermediate, Posterior or Pan-Uveitis (NIU). Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: Alcon: LHA510-2201: A Randomized, Double-Masked, Vehicle-Controlled, Proof-Of-Concept Study for Topically Delivered LHA510 as a Maintenance Therapy in Patients with Wet, Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: Regeneron VGFTe-AMD-1124: An Open-Label Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Intravitreal Administration of VEGF Trap-Eye (Intravitreal Aflibercept Injection) in Patients with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: TRA-OZAB-11-001: The Effect of Ozurdex (Dexamethasone Intravitreal Implant) 0.7mg on Efficacy of Bevacizumab Therapy for Non-Ischemic Retinal Vein Occlusion. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: iDeal 2010-007-03: A Randomized, Multi-Center, Phase II Study of the Safety, Tolerability and Bioactivity of Repeated Intravitreal Injection(s) iCO-007 as Monotherapy or in Combination with Ranibizumab or Laser Photocoagulation in the Treatment of Diabetic Macular Edema with Involvement of the Foveal Center. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: AGN 206207-024: A Multi-Center, Open-Label, Randomized Study comparing the Efficacy and Safety of 700ug Dexamethasone Posterior Segment Drug Delivery System (DEX PS DDS) to Ranibizumab in patients with Diabetic Macular Edema. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: LUX 211-11: A Double-Masked, Placebo Controlled Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Voclosporin as Therapy in Subjects with Active Non-Infectious Intermediate, Posterior or Pan-Uveitis. Closed.
- Sub-Investigator: AGN 150998: Single-Dose Study of the Safety and Efficacy of AGN-150998 in Patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Closed.
- Dugel P U, Blumenkranz M S, Haller J A, Williams G A, Solley W A, Kleinman D M, Naor J,: Ophthalmology. 2012 Jan; 119 (1): 124-31. Doi: 10.1016/j. ophtha.2011.07.034. Epub 2011 Nov 23. A Randomized, Dose-escalation Study of Subconjunctival and Intravitreal Injections of Sirolimus in Patients with Diabetic Macular
- Williams P D, Callanan D, Solley W, Avery R L, Pieramici D J, Aabert T., Clin Ophthalmol. 2012;6P15 19-25, doi: 10,2147/OPTH.S31010. Epub 2012 Sep 17. A Prospective Pilot Study Comparing Combined Intravitreal Ranibizumab and Half-fluence Photodynamic Therapy with Ranibizumab Monotherapy in the Treatment of Neovascular Age-related Macular
- Solley W A, Vitreous Substitutes In: Vitreoretinal Surgery, Anand, R. editor (2006)
- Solley W A, Sternverg P Jr.,: Retinal Phototoxicity, Int Ophthalmol Clin. 1999 Spring;39(2):1-12. Review.
- Solley W A, Kardon R, Thompson HS. Relative Contributions of the Nasal and Temporal Fields in Normal Eyes; Comparison of Visual and Pupillomotor Input. Research at the University of Iowa, Department of Ophthalmology, August 1992 – May 1993.
- Solley W A, Broocker G. Ocular Trauma. In: Ophthalmology for the Primary Care Physician; Palay D A, Krachmer J H, eds: Mosby 1997.
- Solley W A, Broocker G. The General Eye Exam. In: Ophthalmology for the Primary Care Physician; Palay D A, Krachmer J H, eds.: Mosby 1997.
- Solley W A, Martin DF, Newman NJ, King R. Callanan DG,Zacchei T, Wallace RT, Parks DJ, Bridges W. Sternberg P Jr. Cat Scratch Disease: Posterior Segment Ophthalmology 1999, 106:1546-1553.
- Segal W A, Solley W A, Sternberg P S, Capone A C. Refractive Outcome Following Unilateral Retinopexy in Infants with Asymmetric Retinopathy of Prematurity. Progress in Retinopathy of Prematurity, pp. 179-181, Kugler Publications, 1997 (Proceedings of the International Symposium of Prematurity, Taormna, Italy, September 21 – 24, 1997).
- Surgical State of the Art 1: “Achieving Maximal Efficiency in the Small Gauge Era;” Keynote Speaker, Alcon Canada National Surgical Meeting, January 2012.
- Surgical State of the Art 2: “Almost Disasters, Almost Successes,” Keynote Speaker, Alcon Canada National Surgical Meeting, January 2012.
- “Advantages and Challenges of ASC’s,” American Society of Retina Specialists Invited Lecture and Course, December 2011.
- “Constellation Clinical Review and Experiences,” Ophthalmic Management Trends Symposium, Middle East SOVA, May 5, 2011, Fort Worth, Texas.
- “Vitreoretinal Surgery 2011: Improved Surgical Technology, Expanding Surgical Indications, Alcon CME Program, Dallas, Texas, February 24, 2011.
- “The Constellation Experience: Practical Advantages,” Invited Lecture, Alcon Laboratories, April 2010.
- “P0454 A Randomized Dose-Escalation Trial to Assess the Safety of Locally Administered Sirolimus to Treat Diabetic Macular Edema.” 2007 “Best Poster” Award, Annual Meeting Scientific Program.
- “Posterior Segment Manifestations of Cat Scratch Disease,” Residents’ Day, June 5, 1996, Atlanta, Georgia.
- “Telemedicine Diabetic Eye Screening in Urban African-American Population,” Residents Day, June 7, 1997, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Solley W A, Martin D, Newman N, et al. “Cat Scratch Disease: Posterior Segment Manifestations,” Poster presented at American Academy of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, October 1997.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology Maintenance of Certification Curriculum Panel – Retina/Vitreous section, 2008-2011
- Sponsor, Grapevine Faith Christian School Boys Varsity Basketball
- Member, Hills Church of Christ, Southlake, Texas