September is Healthy Aging Month.
Vision loss is not a normal part of aging. But, as you get older, you are at higher risk of developing certain age-related eye diseases and conditions that can lead to vision loss or blindness, including age-related macular degeneration and diabetic retinopathy. There are several steps you can take to lower your risk factors and protect your vision:
- Get an annual comprehensive, dilated eye exam.
- Stop smoking.
- Eat a diet rich in green, leafy vegetables and fish.
- Maintain normal blood pressure.
- Control diabetes if you have it.
- Wear sunglasses and a brimmed hat any time you are outside in bright sunshine.
- Wear protective eyewear when working around your house or playing sports.
At Texas Retina Associates, we are committed to saving sight. Learn more about the risk factors and ways to prevent retinal diseases.